the official MLIA blog

Life is pretty normal today

Let bygones be bygones – How to delete your Google search history

with 24 comments

When Facebook made a creepy change to its photo tagging policy, I wrote a post explaining how you could opt-out.

Surveillance camera with a Google logoOn this weeks episode of “Creepers gonna creep”, on March 1st Google is going to start sharing the information they have collected on you between its many services.

What does this mean? Right now YouTube doesn’t know anything about your Google searches and vice versa. Google search does not know that you’ve seen every single JBiebs video – multiple times – even though you regularly search for “What did we ever do to you Canada?” and “Visa application for countries where Justin Bieber songs are illegal”. As a result, YouTube shows you ads for the new JBiebs CD, but Google search still thinks you are a well-adjusted functioning member of society. Starting March 1st, YouTube will see your searches and Google search will see your YouTube views; both will think you are a self-hating Bieber-fever mega-fan. Obviously this is not the only information that can and will be exchanged between Google services and this applies to all Google services, including but not limited to YouTube, Google search, Gmail and Google maps.

What can you do? Delete and/or disable your web search history at https://www.google.com/history

To see an overview of the Google services you are using and the information they’ve collected, visit https://www.google.com/dashboard/b/0/

As noted on the EFF blog:

Note that disabling Web History in your Google account will not prevent Google from gathering and storing this information and using it for internal purposes. It also does not change the fact that any information gathered and stored by Google could be sought by law enforcement. With Web History enabled, Google will keep these records indefinitely; with it disabled, they will be partially anonymized after 18 months.

Photo by Edgeworks used under creative commons license.

Written by Mek

February 28, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

24 Responses

1. That will ultimately help you out with Adsense though. +1 for you being honest.

Doc

February 28, 2012 at 6:01 pm

• Yes, what’s good for the Adsense is good for the MLIA. However, everybody should be able to make their own informed decision.

Mek

February 29, 2012 at 1:54 am

2. I used to use BING because it’s not Google. loljk that was a good one quiet. Anyways I hate it when Google gets all up in my ass about stuff like that. Thanks Mekky! I’ll definitely use that link to delete search history. I hate being judged by search engines.

_OHHI_

February 28, 2012 at 7:21 pm

3. Eh, I only use Chrome Incognito for all of my creepy and weird Google searches. The creepers can enjoy my multiple Skyrim -insert quest name- searches.

Entu

February 29, 2012 at 2:07 am

4. I’m just going to tell google to run at me.

llamafish69

March 5, 2012 at 5:08 pm

5. Can you please ban the user with the name “rainbowxx_chik_bbycakes?” Just ban it. Preferably their IP, too, but it’s not like you’d do that.

typer2131

March 11, 2012 at 1:50 pm

6. AHAHA YOUR WEBSITE IS SO DEAD

LMAO

March 27, 2012 at 1:20 am

• AHAHA YOU’RE SO FUNNY YOUR MOM MUST BE SO PROUD!

_OHHI_

March 29, 2012 at 11:57 am

7. Anyway, we thought last year’s April Fool’s joke was hilarious, and can’t wait for you to take off the swearing ban on Sunday and see what this year’s will be. : D<3

typer2131

March 30, 2012 at 3:38 pm

8. Hi, Mek, I was just wondering if you could freeze the account The_Day_Mlia_Died. They’ve been on MLIA nonstop for the past 3 weeks, and have harassed commenters repeatedly. They’re also offensive and create a negative environment on MLIA.

ilovemymomtoo

April 18, 2012 at 6:28 pm

• They haven’t posted anything inappropriate. I agree, they are annoying, but I can’t ban them for that. If more people bad his/her comments they will be hidden.

Mek

April 19, 2012 at 3:04 pm

• I know, but they have been harassing commenters repeatedly, and have been spamming the website.

ilovemymomtoo

April 21, 2012 at 5:10 pm

• Um, I don’t know who badded them, it wasn’t me, but they have a comment with 101 bads, and it is not hidden so if there’s anything you could do to help us out a little, that would be great. They’re really annoying.

You banned pervert for saying “penis,” but this person repeatedly targets individuals and harasses them, while making MLIA a negative environment, like ilovemymomtoo has pointed out. So…like…please kill them or fix badding kthxbye. D:<3

types

April 22, 2012 at 7:27 am

• Actually, if you need an example of inappropriateness, the troll used the word “fuck” today.

ilovemymomtoo

April 24, 2012 at 6:50 pm

• YEAH, MEK. MY NINE YEAR OLD DAUGHTER READS THIS SITE.

types

April 24, 2012 at 7:21 pm

• Man up.

llamafuckingcuntfish

April 21, 2012 at 8:23 am

• I haven’t noticed any harassment and I don’t see how this person is offensive. Sure, it’s a tad bit annoying but he/she is also nice and can make conversation at times too.

_OHHI_

April 22, 2012 at 9:17 am

• But to add onto what typer said, could you please fix the badding thingy so It’ll nom a persons comments if it receives too many negative votes?

_OHHI_

April 22, 2012 at 9:18 am

9. Bring back the Google search bar on the site.

kghero

April 19, 2012 at 5:34 pm

10. Bring back swearing please kthankyou.

Pedz

April 24, 2012 at 6:40 am

11. Bring back Crystal Pepsi, please. Oh. You’re not in charge of that? ‘Kay.

I Can Make Demands Too

April 24, 2012 at 11:41 am

• I tried…

I built a time machine to go back and buy all the Pepsi Crystal ever made, but the time machine refused to go back to 1992. Any other year works though.

Mek